Clicker dies

I have always wanted to have a go with a clicker die but had mistakenly thought that I would need a heavy duty press. With time hanging heavy on my hands because of lockdown I thought I would buy a couple of small dies and have a go.


I bought one online and while I was waiting for it to arrive stuck together about 8 layers of scrap leathers with PVA to make a pad about an inch thick.



The die arrived and I tried it in my bench press but without success and so used a hammer and my scrap pad and gave it a few hefty wallops. That worked OK.






The die is mounted in a wooden block and has handy holes to poke through to release the leather.





































This particular clicker die makes a figure of eight that when folded and linked together forms a strap or lightweight belt. 











Clickers were the highly skilled people in the shoe factories who cut out the pieces of leather using a metal pattern. As the blade of their knife touched the metal pattern it would click - giving them their name.

The left over leather was called a cobweb and would be weighed and the clicker who left the least waste would be the highest paid.











So now I have got a problem because I am hooked and I want more clicker dies.
This one even pricks out the stitching holes.












Let's hope my wife doesn't notice when she goes into my workshop!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted leather leaf

Bits and pieces

Dragon Eyes