Dragon Eyes


I have been asked how to create the dragon eyes that I have used in my leathercraft for
keyfobs and book covers.












You will need some of those domed shaped glass beads that are used to fill vases. I did try
using coloured beads but the painting on the back doesn't show through.

You will also need to use a paint brush with a fine point. I am using the shorter one today but the longer haired ones work better as they hold more paint.


I am using Humbrol enamel paints but acrylic paints work too.







We are going to be painting on the back of the bead so we will be painting "backwards" that is we are going to start with the highlights and then work outwards from there. Don't worry if you make a mistake - just have a cloth handy to wipe it off and try again.

So let's start with the white highlight. This is just a coma shape and it's what gives the eye it's character. I have painted a few on my practice board just to show you some examples.

Now it's time for the real thing. If you don't like it wipe it off and try again. I usually make half a dozen or more at a time as it seems to get easier the more I do.

I would advise you to put it aside to dry before going onto the next stage.






So, ignoring my own advice I am going to press onto the next stage while it's still wet.

Moving on to the black I am going to paint two comma shapes or brackets either side of the highlight and then fill in the bit in the middle.

Definitely put this aside to dry before moving on to the next stage.




Next up is the yellow paint. again two comma or bracket shapes either side of the black but no need to fill in the centre this time.

Also no need to wait for this to dry before moving on to ........






.... the orange band as it looks quite effective if these two colours bleed into each other.

Set aside to dry.







Nearly finished. You can leave the background clear if you like but I like to do one more stage
to make the eye really stand out from the dark recess. I have used a lime green but you could use white, bright red or any colour that takes your fancy.






Most of all have fun with your dragon's eye leathercraft projects.











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Painted leather leaf

Bits and pieces